It is explained in this article how to connect the Nintendo Switch to a laptop and use it to play games such as Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and Animal Crossing New Horizons on a personal computer. If you don’t have an HDMI capture card, you may still use your laptop to play the PC versions of your favorite Nintendo Switch games if you don’t have one.
Note: You might remember utilizing an HDMI connection to reflect the screen of your computer on a monitor or television screen. This is an HDMI Out port, which means that it cannot be used to display other media on your laptop’s display screen.
Read Also: How To Connect AirPods To HP Laptop
How to Connect Nintendo Switch to a Laptop
You simply utilize your laptop’s monitor as a TV screen to play your Nintendo Switch on your laptop, thus you may leave your Nintendo Switch docked for the duration of this setup process.
1. Disconnect the HDMI cord from the Nintendo Switch and the TV.
2. Connect the HDMI cord from your Nintendo Switch to the HDMI In port on your Elgato HD60 HDMI capture card.
Tip: Because this process consumes a lot of electricity, you should plug both your laptop and Nintendo Switch dock into a power source.
3. Open Game Capture HD on your laptop.
4. Press the Home button on any connected controller to turn on your Nintendo Switch system.
5. Connect the capture card to your laptop using the USB cable that came with the Elgato HD60.
6. Within Game Capture HD, you should see your Nintendo Switch home screen within a few seconds.
Tip: If the Nintendo Switch isn’t detected by Elgato’s Game Capture HD software, make sure the HDMI cable is put into the capture card’s In port rather than the Out port. It should be connected to the USB cord on the same side.
7. In the top-right area of Game Capture HD, select the fullscreen icon. The application should take up the entire screen.
8. Make sure you don’t touch your keyboard or mouse. The footage from the Nintendo Switch should immediately expand to span the entire screen. You may now play Nintendo Switch games on your laptop in the same way that you would on a television.
Tip: On a Windows 10 laptop, a Nintendo Switch is being used.
This method can also be used to watch media from any other device with an HDMI cable.
About Capture Cards
For this technique, any capture card with a USB-C connection and an HDMI In connector will suffice. There are various excellent capture cards to pick from, but Elgato cards are the most popular among gamers due to their affordability, build quality, and ease of usage.
For these instructions, we used an Elgato HD60 HDMI capture device and the free Elgato Game Capture HD programme. The capture card may be purchased on Amazon, and the free software can be downloaded from the Elgato website.
The process should be the same if you’re connecting your Switch to your laptop with another capture card. Similarly, most game capture software works in the same way, so you can use another programme instead of Game Capture HD if you want.
The Top 6 TV Capture and Video Capture Cards for 2022
Note: The Switch Lite is exempt from this procedure.
Another Way to Play Nintendo Switch Games on Your Laptop
If you don’t have an HDMI capture card and can’t afford one, playing the PC versions of your favorite Nintendo Switch games on your laptop is a viable option. You won’t have to learn new controls because many Nintendo Switch controllers are also compatible with laptops and desktop computers.
Except for first-party properties like Super Mario, Animal Crossing, and Pokémon, many of the video games available on the Nintendo Switch may also be found on Windows 10, Epic Games, or Steam through the Microsoft Store app store. Some popular online games, such as Minecraft and Fortnite, even allow you to store your progress across multiple devices. That means you can play a game on your laptop that you started on your Nintendo Switch, then transfer your progress to your Switch when you’re ready.
Tip: Check out Xbox Play Anywhere titles if you often buy console games for your PC and own an Xbox One console. These allow you to purchase both the console and PC versions of the game for the price of one.